Introducing your new baby to the world is a momentous occasion, and what better way to do it than with a luxurious cashmere baby blanket? Our blankets are made of the finest materials to provide your child (or children) with an ultra-soft blanket that will keep them warm and comfortable. Cashmere's heat-regulating and insulating properties make it the perfect fabric for newborns. Whether you're a new parent, family member or friend, you can't go wrong with a cashmere blanket.
What is cashmere?
Cashmere wool is a luxurious fiber made from the cashmere goat. The cashmere goat is native to the highlands of Central Asia and has been used for centuries to make warm, comfortable clothing, and sleepwear.
The earliest uses of cashmere date back to the third century BC, when cashmere shawls were worn by Chinese nobility. Cashmere was first introduced to the West in the 17th century by French explorers who brought back cashmere shawls from India. The popularity of cashmere quickly spread, and by the 19th century, cashmere was being used to make a wide variety of garments, from coats and sweaters to gloves and scarves.
The word cashmere is derived from the Persian word for wool, which is keshmir.
How is cashmere made?
The cashmere fiber is combed or shorn from the cashmere goat's undercoat. The cashmere goat grows a thick coat of hair in the winter to protect them from the cold weather. In the spring, the cashmere goat sheds its coat, and the cashmere fiber is combed or shorn from the undercoat.
The cashmere fiber is then processed to remove impurities and guard against shrinkage. The cashmere is then spun into yarn and used to make a variety of garments, from sweaters and scarves to blankets and throws.
Why is cashmere better than other wool?
- Cashmere is one of the softest, most luxurious fibers in the world.
- Cashmere is extremely strong and durable.
- Cashmere is a natural insulator, making it ideal for winter garments.
- Cashmere is also a heat-regulating fiber, making it comfortable to wear in all seasons.
Why is cashmere so popular?
There are many reasons why cashmere is such a popular choice for luxury baby blankets:
- Cashmere is prized for its softness, warmth, and durability.
- Cashmere is light weight and breathable, making it ideal for layering in the cold winter months.
- Cashmere's natural ability to regulate body temperature makes it an ideal choice for baby blankets because it will keep your child comfortable in any environment.
- Cashmere is also a very popular choice for luxury garments because of its luxurious feel and elegant appearance.
- If properly cared for, a cashmere garment can last for many years.
What factors determine the quality of cashmere?
The quality of cashmere is determined by a number of factors, including the cashmere goat's diet, the climate where the cashmere goats live, and the skill of the craftsperson who made the garment.
The finest cashmere comes from cashmere goats that graze on high-quality grasses and herbs in mountainous regions. The cashmere goats in these regions produce a fiber that is both strong and soft.
The climate also plays a role in the quality of cashmere. Cashmere goats that live in cold, dry climates produce a finer fiber than cashmere goats that live in warm, wet climates. The finer the cashmere fiber, the higher the quality of the cashmere.
Finally, the skill of the craftsperson who made the cashmere garment is also a factor in determining the quality of cashmere. The best cashmere garments are made by experienced craftspeople who have spent years perfecting their technique.
- Touch: Cashmere should be soft and smooth to the touch. In some cases, cashmere may be slightly prickly, but this should not be uncomfortable.
- Weight: Heavier cashmere garments will be warmer and more durable, while lighter cashmere garments will be cooler and more breathable.
- Color: The color of cashmere can range from white to black, with a variety of shades in between. The color of cashmere does not affect the quality of the cashmere.
- Luster: Cashmere should have a gentle sheen.
- Strength: Cashmere should be strong and durable.
- Origin: The finest cashmere comes from the goats of Mongolia.
What is cashmere used for?
Cashmere can be used to make a wide variety of garments, including sweaters, scarves, wraps, and blankets. Cashmere is also sometimes used to make socks, gloves, and hats.
Why cashmere for a baby blanket?
There are many reasons why cashmere is the perfect choice for a baby blanket. Cashmere is an excellent insulator and regulates body temperature, making it ideal for newborns. Cashmere is also soft, durable, and hypoallergenic, making it a safe and comfortable choice for your baby. Shop our variety blankets as perfect baby holiday gifts! Just be sure whoever you buy this for is old enough to use a blanket. Believe it or not, it's not recommend for newborn babies to sleep with blankets. To learn more click here.
In addition, cashmere is a sustainable fiber that is gentle on the environment. The cashmere goat produces a small amount of cashmere each year, which means that the cashmere fibers can be collected without harming the goat.
Cashmere is also a renewable resource because as the cashmere goat produces new cashmere every year. The cashmere fibers can be recycled and made into new products (like home blankets and home accessories), making cashmere a sustainable choice for the environment.
How do you care for cashmere?
Cashmere is a delicate fiber for baby clothes, blankets, and accessories, which needs to be cared for accordingly.
- Avoid contact with sharp objects that could damage the cashmere fibers.
- Cashmere garments should be stored in a cool, dry place when not in use.
- When traveling with cashmere, it is best to keep it in its original garment bag to protect it from dirt and wrinkles.
- To clean cashmere, use a mild detergent and hand wash in cool water. Avoid wringing or twisting the cashmere, as this can damage the fibers.
- To dry cashmere, lay flat on a towel and allow to air dry.
- When storing cashmere, wrap in acid-free tissue paper and place in a cool, dark place.
- Avoid storing cashmere in plastic bags, as this can cause the cashmere to yellow.
With proper care, cashmere can last for many years. We pride ourselves in providing an extremely high quality product, if you have any issues we are happy to help with returns and shipping.
Why is cashmere so expensive?
The high price of cashmere is due to a number of factors, including the rarity of the cashmere fiber and the labor-intensive process of harvesting and processing cashmere.
Cashmere is a rare fiber that is only produced by the cashmere goat. The cashmere goat produces a small amount of cashmere each year, which makes cashmere a scarce resource.
In addition, the process of harvesting and processing cashmere is labor-intensive. Cashmere fibers must be hand-harvested from the cashmere goat, and the cashmere must be carefully processed to avoid damaging the delicate fibers.
The combination of rarity and labor intensity makes cashmere one of the most expensive fibers in the world.
Is cashmere worth it?
Yes, cashmere is definitely worth the investment for its elegant and luxurious fiber that is perfect if you’re shopping for your own children or looking at a baby gift guide.
A cashmere baby blanket is an heirloom-quality gift that will be cherished for years to come.
Discover the luxurious feel of cashmere for yourself with our collection of cashmere baby blankets. Our blankets are made from the finest cashmere fibers and are sure to provide your precious little one with warmth, comfort, and style. A baby blanket is a practical and versatile gift that can be used in a variety of ways at home or on the go: as a receiving blanket, swaddle, stroller blanket, or security blanket; or as a nursing cover, play mat, and tummy time mat.
Browse our collection of cashmere baby blankets
Now that you know a little bit more about cashmere, it's time to choose the perfect cashmere baby blanket for your little one. With many options to choose from, you're sure to find the perfect blanket to welcome your new baby into the world.
Shop our collection today. We offer free standard shipping on all of our baby blankets.
Thank you for choosing Sofia Cashmere!